If you're a motorcycle enthusiast, you want to ensure your ride is properly stored and protected when it's not in use.
It pays to invest in the right type of cover for protection against dust, dirt, rain, sunlight, and other elements riders encounter throughout the year.
The good news is that finding the perfect cover doesn't have to be a difficult task: this guide will show you how to choose the right motorcycle cover so your bike can stay safe while parked or stored away.
Let's get started!
Choose the Right Protective Motorcycle Cover
As a motorsport enthusiast, it's important to keep your motorcycle in pristine condition, which means protecting it from the elements when not in use. In this case, you want to look for a motorsport cover that can withstand harsh weather conditions, including strong winds, heavy rain, and intense sunlight.
When shopping for a motorcycle cover, look for high-quality materials that are waterproof and UV-resistant to ensure maximum protection against the elements. Some of the most common materials used in motorcycle covers include polyester, nylon, and polyurethane-coated fabric.
These materials provide excellent protection against moisture and UV rays, and they are also lightweight and durable.
Different Types of Motorcycle Covers
There are various types of motorcycle covers available on the market, each designed for a specific purpose. Let's take a look at some of the most common ones:
- Indoor Covers: These covers are designed for motorcycles that are stored indoors and provide protection against dust, dirt, and scratches.
- Outdoor Covers: These covers are more heavy-duty than indoor covers and can withstand harsh weather conditions. They offer protection against rain, UV rays, and other outdoor elements.
- Half Covers: As the name suggests, these covers only protect specific parts of your motorcycle, such as the seat or handlebars. They are a great option for quick and easy protection when parked outdoors.
- Full Covers: These covers provide complete coverage for your entire motorcycle and are great for long-term storage.
- Custom Covers: If you have a motorcycle with unique features or modifications, a custom cover may be your best option. These covers are tailored to fit your specific bike and offer maximum protection.
- Lockable Covers: These covers come with built-in locks to secure your motorcycle and prevent theft.
- Rain Covers: Designed specifically for rainy weather, these covers are made from waterproof materials to keep your bike dry and protected.
Ultimately, the type of cover you choose will depend on your specific needs and storage situation. It's always a good idea to have at least two covers — one for indoor use and one for outdoor use, especially if you live in an area with varying weather conditions.
Select the Best Fit for Your Motorcycle
When selecting a motorcycle cover, the size and fit are both essential for optimal protection. It should adequately cover your motorcycle from top to bottom, leaving no parts exposed to the elements.
Motorcycle covers come in various sizes, including small, medium, large, and extra-large.
It's best to measure your motorcycle from the longest point of the front tire to the end of the rear tire, and from the highest point on the handlebars or windshield to the ground to determine the correct size.
Even consider features like elastic hems and tie-down straps for a secure fit. If you're in doubt, it's always safer to choose a cover that's slightly larger than your motorcycle's dimensions. A well-fitted cover provides effective protection against dust, rain, UV rays, and even potential scratches or dents.
Maintenance Tips for Your Motorcycle Cover
To ensure your motorcycle cover continues to provide optimal protection, take care of it properly. Here are some maintenance tips to keep in mind:
- Clean and dry the cover before storing it away.
- Avoid dragging or pulling on the cover when removing it from your motorcycle.
- If possible, store the cover in a cool, dry place.
- Regularly check for any tears or holes and repair them promptly.
- If storing the cover long-term, consider using a storage bag to protect it from dust and dirt.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and storing your cover.
These tips can extend the life of your motorcycle cover and keep your bike looking shiny and new. From regularly cleaning the cover to avoiding direct sunlight exposure, taking the time to maintain your motorcycle cover can pay off big in the long run.
The proper cover ensures that your motorcycle remains in pristine condition while extending its life by offering protection against the elements and potential damage. Remember, the best cover for your motorcycle is always the one that meets your specific needs and fits your bike perfectly. By following this guide, you can make a more informed decision when selecting a motorcycle cover. Whether you're storing your motorbike in a garage or parking it on the street, investing in a high-quality cover will be sure to keep your vehicle safe and protected.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Senior Content Creator
Aleksandra Djurdjevic is a senior writer and editor, covering motorcycle adventures, biker tips and tricks and general exploring on two wheels. She has previously worked as ESL teacher for English Tochka. Aleksandra graduated from the Comparative Literature department at the Faculty of Philosophy in Serbia. Aleksandra’s love for the biking and adventure, getting out on the open road, year after year across the planet helps her continue to be a top expert at RMJ.